LuHi Summer Programs has been creating memories and friendships in a safe, fun environment for close to 60 years. COVID-19 has certainly changed the way we operate as a society and of course as a camp. Despite all the challenges that we have encountered, we feel strongly that camp is not only safe but a necessary escape for children that in many cases have had to adapt and sacrifice the most over the last year. Following the guidelines set by the New York State Department of Health(NYSDOH) as well as the guidance set forth by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the American Camp Association (ACA), and in coordination with the Long Island Camps and Private Schools (LICAPS), we are confident that LuHi is able to operate safely and create an environment for campers to thrive in.
As we await guidelines from the NYSDOH regarding rules and regulations for summer 2021, we have listed a number of our protocols based on last year’s information. Enhanced personal hygiene practices will be one of the most important and effective ways to keep campers, staff, and their families safe:
- Frequent hand washing and sanitizing will be encouraged and required. We will have outdoor handwashing stations, and/or sanitizing stations, offering wipes and alcohol-based hand sanitizer, close to all activity areas.
- Hand washing and/or hand sanitizing will be required after each camp activity, including tennis, swimming, sports, and more, and will be required before and after snack, water breaks, and lunch.
- Campers and counselors will also wash or sanitize their hands upon arrival each morning, throughout the day, and prior to dismissal at the conclusion of the camp day.
In addition, cleaning and sanitizing procedures will be heightened to ensure:
- Camp areas will be cleaned between activities and sports equipment will be disinfected after use.
- Our camp cleaning team will disinfect all high-touch areas, both indoors and outdoors, throughout the camp day.
- At the conclusion of each day, our maintenance teams will follow enhanced cleaning protocols to ensure that every camp area, inside and outside, is sanitized for the following day.
- Aquatics team members will disinfect all high contact surfaces in the pool area, including railings and ladders, using sanitizing wipes, after each swim session.
Please be sure to check back to see any adjustments or additions that have been made: